RNZAF Museum - Wigram
This replica Bleriot XL-2 Monoplane represents the first military aircraft owned by the New Zealand government. The original was gifted by the Imperial Air Fleet Committee in England. It arrived in New Zealand on 29 September 1913. It first flew in Auckland, where several flights were made over the city between 17 and 28 January 1914. The pilot, Joe Hammond, was dismissed at this point after carrying an a woman passenger without authorisation. When war broke out, it was crated up and sent back to England in October 1914.
660-HP Bristol Pegasus 11 M3
The Vildebeeste was a large single-engine biplane that sported a large 12 ft diameter propeller. They first arrived in New Zealand in April-June 1935. The example under restoration at Wigram is the only survivor known worldwide.
277-HP Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah V
2 x 375-HP Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah X
The RNZAF owned 299 Airspeed Oxfords, the first of which arrived in New Zealand in July 1938. The aircraft shown here is a Consul that was acquired from Canada. It is being restored to represent a New Zealand aircraft and the passenger windows have been removed.
Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth
130-HP DH Gipsy Moth
The Tiger Moth was the ab-initio trainer used by the RNZAF at the start of WWII. In all 335 aircraft were used to train pilots.
Spitfire XVI - TE288
Although the Spitfire was never owned by the RNZAF, many New Zealanders were in the RAF at the start of WWII and got to fly the type. With the development of the Empire Air Training Scheme, many more pilots arrived in England after initial training in New Zealand. This aircraft is restored in the camouflage and markings of 'OU-V' "Rongotea" of No. 485 (New Zealand) Squadron, RAF.
550-HP P&W R-1340-AN 1 Wasp
2 x 350-HP Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah IX
2 x 1200-HP Wright Cyclone
1150-HP Allison V-1710
PBY-5A Catalina - 44-34081
2 x 1200-HP P&W R-1830-92 Twin Wasp
The first Catalinas with the RNZAF entered service in April 1943. A total of 56 aircraft were operated between 1943 and 1953. This example was recovered from Papua New Guinea and waits restoration in the museum storage area.
C-47 Dakota - NZ3551
2 x 1200-HP P&W R-1830-90/92 Twin Wasp
TBF-1 Avenger - NZ2521
1600-HP Wright Cyclone 14 R-2600-8
American P-51D Mustang
1450-HP Packhard Merlin V-1650-7
Havilland DH104 Devon - NZ1803
2 x 345-HP Gipsy Queen 70-3
Thirty of these aircraft were owned by the RNZAF, the first arriving in June 1948. This aircraft is displayed as if it is being serviced.
170 Freighter Mk 31M - NZ5903
2 x 1980-HP Bristol Hercules 735
The first Bristol Freighters served with No. 41 Squadron from November 1951 onwards. A total of 12 aircraft served with the RNZAF.
Havilland DH100 Vampire FB5 - NZ5757
The first Vampire variant to arrive in New Zealand was the FB52, which was seen in New Zealand skies in 1951.
Havilland DH115 T55
The first T55 dual trainer Vampires arrived in 1952.
T7c - NZ1707
145-HP DH Gipsy Major VII
Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver - "NZ6001"
450-HP P&W R-985 Wasp Junior
Electric Canberra B(I)12
2 x 74000-LB ST Rolls-Royce Avon 109
The first Canberras was delivered in October 1959 and was a replacement for the Vampire as the RNZAF's main jet strike aircraft. A total of 13 aircraft were in RNZAF service. With the arrival of the Skyhawks in 1970, all the aircraft were sold overseas. This ex-RAF example will be restored to represent the type in New Zealand service.
1100-SHP Lycoming T53-L-11
The Iroquois was the second of three types of helicopter that were ordered in 1965. The type is still in service with the RNZAF
Wasp HAS1 - NZ3906
710-SHP Rolls-Royce/Bristol Nimbus 503
This was the first aircraft operated by the Royal New Zealand Navy since WWII. The first arrived in New Zealand in October 1966.
Although this is another type that was not in service with the RNZAF, it is held in the RNZAF Museum Collection as New Zealand pilots flew th type in Vietnam
Douglas A-4K Skyhawk
9300-LB ST P&W 152-P-8A
The A-4 was purchased in 1970 to replace the Canberra.
| BAC167 Strikemaster Mk88 - NZ6373
Purchased as a replacement for Vampires in No.14 Squadron, the Strikemaster first appeared in 1972, two years after the Skyhawk.
CT/4B Airtrainer - NZ1943
210-HP Continental IO-360H
This type is still in service with the RNZAF, the first entering service in July 1976.
Siddeley Andover C1
2 x 3245-ESHP Rolls-Royce Dart 12 Mk201
Bought second-hand from the RAF, these aircraft replaced both the Bristol Freighter and the Douglas Dakota.
General Electric T700-GE-401/401C